Tuesday, 8 February 2011

Interior Landscape Series


Above: Discard. 2011, Photographic Montage.

This is my latest piece and is the start of a series which explores the relationship between the spaces I inhabit and visit and some of my most inner feelings. These photographic montages are an attempt to understand why I feel a certain sense of catharsis in some spaces instead of others. It is also interesting for me to document these places in a simple, less expressive way with no artistic intervention after actually taking the photos. My usual process is to take many photos and select a handful as starting points. Then I find a surface to work on, often one which resonates something similar to the images and finally I imply what these images could mean by scratching, painting, drawing them etc onto the surface thus binding the images with the surface to give both of them a new resonance and/ or identity. These new identities are extensions of my inner thoughts and my past experiences but this time I want to go straight to core, the initial resonance from the place itself. Ultimately I wish to explore these themes in the form of short films.

You can also find this image on the Worpress blog :THE SIGHTLES SENTINEL which are group of artists (including myself) who are based in London and Hertfordshire. The artwork is extremely varied and makes for interesting viewing as a whole and individually.

www.thesightlesssentinel.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment